Urinalysis is the primary tool for the diagnosis and management of diseases such as UTI, kidney diseases, and diabetes. According to the new report published by Grand View Research, the global urinalysis market size that was estimated at USD 1.37 billion in 2015 will reach over USD 2.14 billion by 2022. Market growth will be spurred by the demand for semi-automated and automated urinalysis analyzers, urine sediment analyzers, and microscopic urine analyzers. The continual demand for novel urinalysis instruments and consumables that ensure greater efficiency and accuracy is promoting technological advancement and automation.
Consumables held the largest share with revenue generation of over USD 1 million in 2014. According to the market research report, the introduction of CLIA-waived urine reagent strips such as CLIA-URS-10, CLIA-URS-10-3PROMO, and CLIA-URS-10-10 provide for an effective screening tool for rapid testing in urine analysis. This is expected to increase the usage rates of urinalysis reagents, thereby contributing to the market growth during the forecast period.
The report also indicates the factors responsible for the growing target population base for the urinalysis market as:
- The rising prevalence of UTI, especially in females
- Low awareness levels pertaining to urine analysis in low-income countries
- High incidences of obesity coupled with hypertension, diabetes, and other chronic disorders
Other Key Findings of the Report
- Diabetes is estimated to be the fastest growing application segment with a CAGR of over 10% during the forecast period, owing to a surge in the demand for automated and user-friendly urinalysis products for long-term diabetes management.
- The instrument segment is expected to witness the fastest growth with a CAGR of over 7%, driven by automated instruments offering improved efficiency and reliability.
- The availability of technologically enabled point-of-care urinalysis systems, such as CLINITEK Status, is a key factor that is expected to reinforce the home healthcare segment to grow at a substantial rate of over 7.5%.
- Key players in the market include Roche Diagnostics, Alere, Inc., Siemens, Bio-Rad, ARKRAY, Inc., Mindray, and Sysmex.
Region-wise, North America dominated the overall urinalysis market with a revenue generation of over USD 540 million in 2014. Key factors contributing to the leading market share of this region are: the introduction of advanced urine analyzers by leading manufacturers in the U.S., favorable government initiatives to promote improved healthcare testing, and the high amount of healthcare spending. Asia Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth with a CAGR of around 8% during the forecast period.