Fast and accurate clinical chemistry testing is crucial when it comes to improving the quality of care. Clinical laboratories – from high-throughput clinical labs to point-of-care settings are now equipping themselves with advanced clinical chemistry analyzers to test for analytes such as proteins, enzymes, and electrolytes, allowing efficient monitoring of diseases such as diabetes, testing for metabolic functions or cardiac markers, and drugs-of-abuse testing. According to market research published by Report Buyer, the American clinical chemistry analyzers market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.2% from 2014 to 2019.
In addition to being built to ensure operational efficiency and accurate testing, today’s clinical chemistry analyzers are designed with the end user in mind. They come with sophisticated features such as in-process quality control analysis, refrigerated storage, STAT testing capability, better sampling rate, broad testing potentiality, and precise pipetting of low volume specimens. Depending on clinical applications and budget, laboratories can choose from manual, semi-automated and fully-automated clinical chemistry systems. Chemistry analyzers can be benchtop devices, point-of-care instruments and high-throughput systems that take up floor space. Popular models of fully automated clinical chemistry analyzers available today include
- Olympus AU400 – Ideal for use in single or multiple locations, this chemistry analyzer features an extensive test menu of homogeneous immunoassays for various protein analytes. Its outstanding compatibility between reagents and hardware ensures highly reliable test results.
- Roche Hitachi 717 – Developed for performing potentiometric and photometric assays, this computerized and full-service device can effectively carry out vitro quantitative and qualitative determinations of a number of clinical chemistries.
To choose the right clinical chemistry analyzer for their needs, laboratories need to consider the following factors:
- Throughput capacity
- Test menu
- Testing speed and accuracy
- Ease of use and minimal maintenance
- Easy availability of regents, consumables and controls
- Availability of training, maintenance and technical support services
Laboratories that are unable to purchase brand new equipment can opt for a refurbished model, which would be priced much lower than a new one. Reputable lab equipment stores offer quality recertified chemistry analyzers at attractive rates and with parts warranty.