An essential piece of equipment in research and clinical laboratories, incubators are widely used for applications such as cell culturing, tissue engineering, neuroscience, cancer research, and in-vitro fertilization stem cell research. With the risk of emerging infectious diseases, the incubator has a central role in providing a stable and appropriate culture environment for specimens. To maximize clinical outcomes, it is important to choose the right type of lab equipment. Here are some key factors that need to be considered when selecting an incubator:
- Size, method of heat conduction, type of temp monitoring and control
- Variables such as recovery/stabilization of temperature, gas atmosphere and humidity
- Ability to maintain desired temperature within specific range
- Capacity to sustain constant level of CO2 as required by specimens
- Humidity control to sustain hydration of growth medium
- Audible and visual alarms that can warn of inaccurate results
- Safety thermostat and temperature alarm
- Whether it is easy to clean and can withstand powerful cleaning agents
- Brackets and removable shelves that can hold containers of different sizes
- See-through door
- Vertical design that does not occupy much space
In addition to considering the technology, it is essential to ensure that the device selected can manage patient volume and optimize workflow.
Laboratories have a plethora of choices as leading manufacturers of laboratory equipment offer a variety of analog and digital incubators incorporated with several advanced features. Take the My Temp Mini Digital from Benchmark Scientific. With digital temperature control and convenient “set and walk away” operation, this incubator eliminates the need for external thermometers. Chamber temperature is accurately monitored and conveniently displayed in real time on the large LED control panel.
Manufactured from 22 Ga steel, the Boekel Complete Culture Control (CCC) line of analog incubators come with a scratch and stain resistant powder-coated exterior and easy-to-clean aluminum interior. In addition to a thermometer as a standard accessory, one or more adjustable shelves, and an integral five-hour timer, these versatile devices even have a blower fan to maintain the desired temperature.